Home ›

THE NIGERIAN JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY
ISSN: 0331-4111
Volume 17, No. 1, June 2019
Pages 17-34
DOI: 10.36108/NJSA/9102/71(0120)

Health Seeking Behaviour of Tiv Women Living with Fibroid in Benue State, Nigeria
Joyce Akpenpuun1 Olufunke Fayehun2,  Ayodele Jegede2
1Department of Sociology, Benue State University, Nigeria
2Department of Sociology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria

Abstract

Uterine fibroids are the most common benign tumors and one of the foremost causes of infertility among women. While there are several clinic-based studies on the biological context of fibroid, very few had examined its socio-cultural context in a community study in Nigeria. This paper, therefore, examined health seeking behaviour of women living with fibroid in Tiv communities in Benue State, Nigeria. The study participants were selected from 4 Tiv speaking local government areas (Gboko, Makurdi, Ukum and Vandeikya) in Benue State through multi stage sampling technique. Sequential explanatory mixed method of data collection was used. Fibroid occurrence is common among women in age categories 30-39 (51%). All the respondents living fibroid sought treatment, however, 60% of the respondents prefer orthodox medical treatment while the remaining 40% prefer the traditional healing process. Income, proximity to healthcare facility, influence of relatives, friends, and health professionals have stronger influence on the health seeking behaviour of women living with fibroid. The health seeking is combination of both traditional and modern medicines while surgical procedure is less utilised. The study recommends an increased sensitization and awareness about fibroid.

Keywords: Tiv, women, fibroid, health seeking behaviour, community

Download PDF